Christie Road

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is Christie Road from the Kerplunk! album. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Kerplunk! was originally released in 1992 and has since gone platinum. It was re-released in January 2007 by Reprise Records.

Kerplunk! was my first Green Day album, so all the songs on it are special to me. However, I can't imagine anyone who couldn't relate to this song on some level, except maybe someone who's too young to have experienced that NEED to establish an independent identity away from the parents, teachers and other authority figures. I love the lyrics of this song (they take me back to Central Park in Bedford, Texas) and I love the way Billie sings it – especially the ChrisTIE Road part.

This week, we have a bonus – three videos!!! I wonder how many of you will actually watch all three.

The Fuse version …

At Roseland in 2000 – Billie's voice sounds so much lower to me, and the song seems a bit slower than normal.

Gotta love this version, especially the beginning laugh.gif!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QsKVCH22E

Christie Road Lyrics

Staring out of my window

Watching the cars go rolling by

My friends are gone

I've got nothing to do.

So I sit here patiently

Watching the clock tick so slowly.

Gotta get away

Or my brains will explode.

Give me something to do to kill some time.

Take me to that place that I call home.

Take away the strains of being lonely.

Take me to the tracks at Christie Road.

See the hills from afar

Standing on my beat up car.

The sun went down and the night fills the sky.

Now I feel like me once again

As the train comes rolling in.

Smoked my boredom gone

Slapped my brains up so high.

Mother stay out of my way

Of that place we go.

We'll always seem to find our way to Christie Road.

If there's one thing that I need

That makes me feel complete

So I go to Christie Road.

It's home. It's home.

It's home. It's home.

It's home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this song so much. If I ever get to hear it in concert I'll be the happiest person on Earth. :D

I love hearing this song live; it's beautiful! And J'net I totally get what you mean about the Christie Road part-- it's my favorite too. :happy:

This song also reminds me about my best friend when we used to hang out all the time before we went to different high schools. This was "our" song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzupOKkFIgc

^Personally, the Nokia gig has been my favorite Green Day show thus far. Not only was I finally able to experience one of my favorite songs live but I was also surrounded by some of the greatest people from GDC that I was fortunate enough to meet. That only adds to how special that song it. :wub:

one of green day's best songs :D ... from my fav album :) .... it cam make me happy ... or homesick ... depends onmy mood :)

i love this song so much. i remember it was one of the first songs I heard off Kerplunk. BJ sang it acoustically at the san jose show last year and it was one of my favorite moments of the night.

to me, this song kind of represents that metaphorical "place" that I can always go to make me realize that everything is okay. "we'll always seem to find a way to christie road" is like, we will always find ourselves in the end, and we'll always realize what really matters in life. it sounds SO cheesy... haha.

i might be going to the actual tracks at christie road this weekend...they are in a town called Martinez which is north of Berkeley.

Great choice! I agree J'Net, we all have our own Christie Road and our own personal hell to escape from.

I'm hopefully taking a train out to San Fran this summer, and the train will actually stop in Emeryville, so we'll be traveling along the tracks at Christie Road (actually Avenue). :D I am too geeky for being excited about this.

I love that we do Song of the Week. Sometimes a song kinda goes under my radar until it's SotW , and I take the time to *really* listen and analyze it. I'm going to do that tonight and then come back and read everyone's thoughts. :)

I love this song so so so so so much!

It used be my all time favourite Green Day song when I was 12/13.

It still means a whole lot to me because I can relate to it.

This song brings back so many awesome memories as well.

I can't wait to one day here this song live, and of course when that happens I'll absolutely freak out!

:lol::wub:

I love this song so much!

This was my theme song for my senior year

of high school.

It just summed up my life perfectly.

I love when he plays it live...

But I loved it even better when he

played it acoustically during the tour.

he sung it with so much emotion...

it was beautiful. :wub:

I freaked out and

almost cried. no joke. :happy:

this is probably one of my favorite songs, that video of them performing it on fuse is on my ipod. i would freaking piss my pants if i ever got to see them play it live. :wub:

I wish Green Day would stop summing up my life in song form haha. I love this song so much, this and Westbound Sign hit me like a ton of bricks when I heard them for the first time. It's super weird to think that someone like THEM grew up somewhere like THIS. Suburbia sucks and this song makes it a little bit better. Wish I had a Christie Road to get away from things. "Take me to that place that I call home" :wub:

^ Markelle!

And yeah, this is one of those songs that just stands out to me. It's simple but so fucking gorgeous.

This song is awesome.

I want to hear this live so bad.

Song of the week, you have done it again.

I wish Green Day would stop summing up my life in song form haha.

hahahaha! seriously.

Christie Road is one of my favorite songs ever. I just love the way it sounds and makes me feel.

I'd also love to hear it live.

Christie Road was my favorite song for about a year, and I still love it. Definitely one of the better/best on Kerplunk.

Christie Road is one of my favorite songs ever. I just love the way it sounds and makes me feel.

I'd also love to hear it live.

mine too.

that song just makes me think about

my life in general.

I heard it live in D.C. and Billie

played it acoustically...

I freaking melted. :wub:

Christie Road is one of my favorite songs of all time. I was lucky enough to see them play it live in Hartford, CT last July. I was so happy that i cried...like an idiot! lol :happy: The song just gives me a great feeling and i can definitely relate to it so much. Seeing it live is such a fantastic experience, i can't even begin to describe how amazing it is. Love this one. :wub:

OMG YES.

Christie Road is my Most favorite song Offa Kerplunk.

Its just so relaxing to listen to on the way hoem from a vacation!

AHH good times :]

Christie Road is off Kerplunk which just happens to be my favourite Green Day record, so naturally I love this song to death.

Good choice. :)

Archived