Sassy Sassafras Roots

J'net

You won't be wasting your time if you participate in the discussion of this week's Song of the Week - Sassafras Roots. That's right, this week I learned how to spell sassafras without stopping to think about it. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Sassafras Roots was included on the 10-times-platinum album, Dookie, released in February 1994. Dookie, Green Day's first major label release, reached a peak chart position of #2 (rather appropriate for an album titled Dookie).

In my opinion, the lyrics to this song are deceptively simple. I'm interested to hear what you all think.

Here's a youtube audio for your listening pleasure.

Sassafras Roots Lyrics

Roaming 'round your house

WASTING YOUR TIME

No obligation, just

WASTING YOUR TIME

So why are you alone

WASTING YOUR TIME?

When you could be with me

WASTING YOUR TIME

I'm a WASTE like you

With nothing else to do

May I WASTE your time too?

Warding off regrets

WASTING YOUR TIME

Smoking cigarettes

WASTING YOUR TIME

I'm just a PARASITE

WASTING YOUR TIME

APPLYING myself to

WASTING YOUR TIME

Well I'm a WASTE like you

With nothing else to do

So why are you alone

WASTING YOUR TIME?

When you could be with me

WASTING YOUR TIME

Well I'm a WASTE like you

With nothing else to do

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE this song, it's so cute. I want my first tattoo to be the light bulb from the inlay next to this song's lyrics. <3

this song...simple as it is..the lyrics are the story of my life haha

anyways

i like the intro to the song

I really like this song a lot and I really like the lyrics even though they seem to be simple

I love the simplicity of this song. It's one I can never skip over. I just adore it for some reason. Really cute and awesome.

Why have some words been capatalised ?

Yeah it's a nice wee song about just, being. I like it even if it is simples.

Hee hee hee hee hee! :D :D :D

Anja and I should throw Sassafras Roots a party, we love it so much! :woot:

It doesn't mean alot to me lyrically compared to some of my other favourites, but musically it's just one of the best. Love it so, so much.

I love how "May I waste your time too" is repeated so much throughout the song, it's really pushing some emphasis. Just pure, ultimate brilliance. :wub:

I loooove Sassafras Roots :wub: I was very obsessed with that song... now I'm still really obsessed :rolleyes:

I like this song, because, like She, it's a song that isn't really a love song, but still expresses that desire to be with someone, even in a platonic way.

i'm totally in love with this song. it's addictive.

every time i listen to it, i put it on repeat for hours. :lol:

definitely one of my favorite favorite favorites.

I can't believe the guys played this song at the Nokia show! It was mind blowing and a lot of fun to sing and jump to. :happy: Definitely one of my favorite songs of off Dookie.

^this song reminds me of the Nokia Plaza show soundcheck.

i love this song...like everyone has said i like its simplicity.

Ahhh another amazing choice.

My recent tweets/status updates have been lyrics from this song.

I identify with a lot of the lyrics.

:happy: this song is so adorable!

You stole my exact words!!!!! lol

I adore this song so much :D It makes me smile

This is one of my top Green Day songs of all time! I'm pretty sure I say that about every SOTW, but still! :) At first it was one of my least favorites from Dookie, but now it's one of my absolute faves. I love quoting Sassafras Roots too. And I enjoy the total randomness of the name. :lol:

Let me first start out with: I think that Sassafras is one of the most difficult Green Day related word to spell. Secondly, this is an awesome song and it's about time that it's sotw. :)

I love how Wasting your time is repeated and emphasized, if it weren't, the song wouldn't be as adorable. The lyrics are simple yet brilliant.

Let me first start out with: I think that Sassafras is one of the most difficult Green Day related word to spell. Secondly, this is an awesome song and it's about time that it's sotw. :)

I love how Wasting your time is repeated and emphasized, if it weren't, the song wouldn't be as adorable. The lyrics are simple yet brilliant.

Agree, and seriously, LOLFUCKINGL at your new username :lol:

This song is a perfect example of how Green Day can be so simple yet brilliant. It's such an adorable song.

Love it.

Green Day can waste my time whenever they like. :wub:

Archived