One for the Razorbacks

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is One for the Razorbacks from Kerplunk. Kerplunk was released in January 1992 and has since gone platinum. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

I love the lyrics in this song so much, and it again accentuates the fact that Billie Joe has always had a way with words and been unusually perceptive, even at the age of 19. "Look this direction, I know it's not perfection, it's just me," is one of my favorite lyrics of all time. I also love the lines, "I know I am crazy and a bit lazy …" and "Now she's realizing love can be filled with pain and distrust."

Here's a lovely treat – two videos of this song being performed live, both from 1991. The first is at The Den in Wigan, England. The second was recorded in Little Rock, Arkansas.

I love Billie's facial expressions as he prepares to start singing in this one, and it's awesome to see all the fan interaction.

I was wondering why this second one was so long, and had a good laugh when I found out why. This is one of those videos with so many little indicators of how Green Day got started; it's just too fun to watch.

One for the Razorbacks Lyrics

Juliet's trying to find out what she wants, but she don't know -

Experience has got her down

Look this direction, I know it's not perfection, it's just me.

I want to bring you up again now.

Cause I'm losing what's left of my dignity -

A small price to pay to see that you're happy.

Forget all the disappointments you have faced.

Open up your worried world and let me in.

Juliet's crying cause now she's realizing love can be

Filled with pain and distrust.

I know I am crazy, and a bit lazy

But I will try to bring you up again somehow.

I know I am crazy, and a bit lazy

But I will try to bring you up again somehow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J'Net - "Look this direction, I know it's not perfection, it's just me" is one of my favorite lyrics of all time as well! The thing I love most about Billie's songwriting is showcased perfectly in this song - he has a way of writing things that most only feel, but don't know how to express. And he does it in a way that doesn't come off as cheesy at all, but rather just very, very honest.

LOL, I love to write, so I analyze Green Day's lyrics all the time. :lol:

A while ago Itunes released 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours with a few bonus songs that were recorded at WMMR, a radio station (near me!!!). It's all acoustic with a little interview at the end, and my favorite song they did was One for the Razorbacks. It's just beautiful acoustic!

A while ago Itunes released 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours with a few bonus songs that were recorded at WMMR, a radio station (near me!!!). It's all acoustic with a little interview at the end, and my favorite song they did was One for the Razorbacks. It's just beautiful acoustic!

I love that version, too. I have it on my Zune and play it as often as I do the version on Kerplunk.

I laaaaaav this song. It's kinda special to me cause it's got my name in it haha how sad. I'd love to hear this live though, it'd make my night if that happened at a show :happy:

:o

i've never head that version

i really love this song because billie is being brutally honest about his feelings

hes always been in touch with his sensitive side and thats what i love about him.

edit: that dude telling the story goes "this one goes to Jason White"!

Aaaw I love watching those vids from the Jailcell Recipe Tour, it reminds me of when Billie told us at Birmingham about first coming to England in 1991. I always think of The Den, Wigan! :wub:

Anyways I love listening to this song, it always cheers me up, I don't know it just seems to have a happy air about it.

Loving Tre's buzzcut-Billie probably did it

:eyebrows:

Anyone know what a "razorback" actually is ? :huh:

Also lol at that 2nd video! "Hey, you're a big guy!" Teeny tiny Billie.

LOL AT THE STRING INCIDENT!!

I can't believe that a 19 years old can write something like this. The line "open up your worried world and let me in" is so powerful. It's like "hey, we're Green Day, we're here to help you. Give us a chance, you may actually enjoy this".

it was some kind of savage pork (i don't even know if that's the word xd)

i think its a wild boar like a pig

not sure though

My 1,039/Smoothed out slappy hours has that bonus when you put it on the computer :wub:

Yeah I tried looking it up and it had somethng about pigs but I figured that couldn't be it... :lol:

I thought Razorbacks was a reference to the name of the football team at a girls high school? I think its something like that.

And I love this song, its just beautiful and awesome.

I love this song! :wub:

It's one of my most played off of Kerplunk. The lyrics are so sweet, and it just sounds so upbeat, it always puts me in a good mood.

& i had no clue there was an acoustic version! :o I don't have 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours on CD, only digital and Vinyl :/ I'll have to look for that, i bet it sounds amazing!

This song is epic 'Nuff Said! One of the best on the album! the Intro deceives me though, thinking it's going to be a crappy tune, but it's actually pretty good!

This is probably one of my favorite Green Day songs, it is so cute an awesome and just fabulous.

And that second video was hilarious :D

Haha, that's funny, just like, 40 minutes ago or something when I was cycling, this song popped up on shuffle and I thought "this should be the next SOTW it's awesome" /end of story

I love this song, it's awesome, one of my favourites from Kerplunk and also in general (although my list with favourites is quite long, haha)

And I'm really bad with words so I'll leave the awesome analyses of the lyrics to other people, even though I think I understand pretty much everything in it.

And I loved the second video of it, hadn't seen it before. And the first will always be awesome so eh :D

edit: Hey, I just remembered that the Den, Wigan one was either the first or the second "early days" performance I ever saw/I'd ever seen/I've ever seen (which one? xD) of Green Day. And that I liked it when I saw it :happy:

I have the feeling that Lauren will be very pleased about this. :happy:

One For The Razorbacks is a pretty good song.

That's my favorite lyric from the song. :)

Archived