Give Me Novacaine

J'net

The song of the week is Give Me Novacaine. Imagine the thrill those of us in the O2 arena felt when Green Day played this song on Saturday night (10/24) in London. I think it’s a beautiful version, too.

This has been one of my favorite songs since the first time I heard it, but I’ve grown to love it more each time I’ve listened to it.

As I’m posting this one, I’m sitting in the midst of the most insane Rocktober crowd you could possibly imagine. We are listening to and singing along with Green Day. There is an incredible amount of laughter! What could be better?

The album American Idiot was released in September 2004 and has gone platinum three times so far. Novacaine is the seventh track on this album, which reached number one on the charts.

I believe this youtube video from last night is simply epic. So many of us were there that I don’t even have any idea how many of us were!

Give Me Novacaine Lyrics

Take away the sensation inside,

Bittersweet migraine in my head,

It's like a throbbing toothache,

Of the mind,

I can't take this feeling anymore

Drain the pressure from the swelling,

This sensations overwhelming,

Give me a long kiss goodnight,

And everything will be alright,

Tell me that I won't feel a thing

Give me novacaine

Out of body and out of mind,

Kiss the demons out of my dreams,

I get the funny feeling and that's alright,

Jimmy says it's better than here

Drain the pressure from the swelling,

This sensations overwhelming,

Give me a long kiss goodnight,

And everything will be alright,

Tell me Jimmy, I won't feel a thing

Give me novacaine

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was beyond ecstatic when they went into that last night. It was a beautiful version, I think i'll always have as my memory when I hear the song now. I love the song in general but last night just made it all the more amazing.

I love this song!!!! It's one of those songs that you can just play over and over and never get tired of it.

Ah, this is one of their best songs. I've always loved it, but I've been loving it a lot more recently for some reason. It's just perfect.

aaahhh yes, love this song... I was so happy when they played it when I went to see them in Philly. It's pretty much beautifully depressing... it kind of perfectly conveys the feeling of desperation where you just don't know what to do to get out of your misery.

aaahhh yes, love this song... I was so happy when they played it when I went to see them in Philly. It's pretty much beautifully depressing... it kind of perfectly conveys the feeling of desperation where you just don't know what to do to get out of your misery.

What you said. It just depresses the hell out of me, and either in spite of or because of that, I love it. I've come to look at Restless Heart Syndrome as the sequel to this song, because it just has that idea of needing SOMETHING, anything, to take your mind off of the demons. Kissing the demons out of your dreams, you use the pills to get rid of your own worst enemy, that sort of thing. It's a relatable idea; even if one doesn't abuse drugs, or doesn't take anti-depressants or similar prescriptions, it's that idea of searching for an escape that will just make you go insane.

You Londoners sure are lucky to have heard this!

This used to be one of my least favorite's from AI. I don't know what I was thinking. It's grown on me and I've been listening to it a lot recently. It's always been my sisters favorite song from the album.

We were actually just listening to it while carving pumpkins :)

awe sweet, great choice for sotw.

what can i say about this song? it's one of those songs that you lie in bed after a horrible day or week or

whatever, and as you exhale you just feel yourself immersed into the song's lyrics.

"i get the funny feeling, thats alright. Jimmy say's it better than here"

sticks out for me alot. brings me back to the first night i started using perscription drugs, and i could feel my legs getting

heavier and my breathing slowing, and i was texting my friend as she said "but then again, dont you feel so much better?"

and Billie's voice is phenominal :wub:

Mmmm this song is so relaxing and peaceful to me. I adore it.

In fact, I love it so much I used this song as my designer 'tag' when I was designing things for other websites, back in the day :lol:

Great choice :)

But next week let's have I Want To Be Alone.

;)

awe sweet, great choice for sotw.

what can i say about this song? it's one of those songs that you lie in bed after a horrible day or week or

whatever, and as you exhale you just feel yourself immersed into the song's lyrics.

"i get the funny feeling, thats alright. Jimmy say's it better than here"

sticks out for me alot. brings me back to the first night i started using perscription drugs, and i could feel my legs getting

heavier and my breathing slowing, and i was texting my friend as she said "but then again, dont you feel so much better?"

and Billie's voice is phenominal :wub:

wanna hear something freaky? this songs reminds me of an experience i had thats almost identical to yours. lol.

I remember back when I first got American Idiot, this was probably one of my least listened to on the album. But I remember one night when I was home alone, I was blaring the album and Give me Novocain came on and I just froze, being pretty uhh out of it too, i kinda of just got that intense connection. [thats not the experience but more so the first time i realized i love this song].

awesome pick for sotw <3

This is such a beautiful song, one of the ones that's really easy to get lost and totally immerse yourself in. Whenever I've had a bad day and this song comes on, nearly all of my outside thoughts and worries seem to go completely out of my mind for a few minutes and the music really just heals me. It's almost soothing, and I really feel a powerful connection with it. I'm so happy for all of you who got to see it live, i'm sure it must be really something!

Ah, this is a very good pick for song of the week.

It's a song that i can listen to over and over again.

I don't have any sort of personal relation to this song or anything like some of you have said, but I still love it :) Although for some reason, it took a while to grow on me.

I haven't listened to it properly in ages though :/ I'm gonna take this opportunity now and play it on my ipod =D

...the line "drain the pressure from the swelling" always made me kinda shudder, it just hits me like BAM! haha

Ooh, great song. I love the bittersweet lyrics in this song. You can interpret this song in numerous ways. Like, you can think novcaine is a drug, but you can also interpret it as maybe love.

It's always been my favourite song off of American Idiot. There's something about that song that makes me soo emotional every time I hear it (I never forget my mom listening to this song for the first time, even though sie had no idea what the lyrics are, she was in tears). I love everything about that song, it's even more special for me after hearing it live in Berlin :wub:

I'll let myself post the acoustic version from Berlin 10/07/09. Even though Billie messed up the second verse, it made the show even more unforgettable :):wub:

Archived