J'net

To give us a radical change of pace from last week, this week’s Song of the Week is Android. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Android was first released on the Kerplunk! album on January 17, 1992. Kerplunk! has been re-released a couple of times since then. Android is a great song but was never a single.

To me, this song takes me back to when I was much younger and would just occasionally take notice of older people (when I wasn’t wasting my time in “other” ways). I found most of the adults around me odd and felt very little coming from them that I could identify with. I actually did often wonder whether I would “grow that old” or die young. I never could have imagined myself being like I perceived them to be. I think the line, “When he was young did he have dreams of wearing woman's shoes and being crazy” is a surprisingly accurate way to express MY thoughts. In other words, did this person dream of becoming what they are, or did it happen to them without their cooperation?” And these days? I still don’t think I have a lot in common with those people I used to watch, but I do have some. And I do understand them better now. They don’t seem like bizarre freaks of nature any longer.

I also relate this song to when I see homeless people and wonder how they ended up that way. When I was younger, I used to wonder what could happen to me that would cause me to end up homeless. The lines “Hey old man in woman’s shoes” and “begging for your spare change” particularly strike me this way.

My favorite part of the song is:

It seems so frightening

Time passes by like lightning

Before you know you're struck down.

Here’s an audio of Android for your listening pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqvqjxbS5g0

Android Lyrics

Hey old man in woman's shoes

I wonder if he knows I think he's crazy

When he was young did he have dreams of wearing woman's shoes

And being crazy

It makes me wonder when

I grow to be that age

Will I be walking down the street

Begging for your spare change

Or will I grow that old?

Will I still be around?

The way I carry on I'll end up

Six feet underground and waste away...

When the old man was in school

Did the golden rule make him go crazy?

Or did he hide away from hopes

Behind a smile and smoking dope

It's crazy

It makes me wonder when

I grow to be that age

Will I be walking down the street

Begging for your spare change

Or will I grow that old?

Will I still be around?

Six feet underground and waste away...

It seems so frightening

Before you know you're struck down

I always waste my time on

My chemical emotions

It keeps my head spinning around.

Waste away …

It seems so frightening

Before you know you're struck down

I always waste my time on

My chemical emotions

It keeps my head spinning around.

Waste away …

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Android, but wasn't it already Song Of The Week? It's like the only SOTW I remember.

Yes, it was but we are starting over from scratch. I've been watching the new SotW thread and this is one of the songs that got the most votes, so here it is ... :).

I remember with the old SOTW. I was a member of GDC, but I never posted. I remember I never heard the song before, and Andres was saying something about how the first line was "Hey old man in womans shoes... I wonder if he knows I think he's crazy?" and I'm like ...wtf? :lol: haha but then when I FINALLY got to listen to it (which took a while as I could never find Kerplunk! but then I finally got it :) oh... I still can't find 1,039/SOSH! :() and I fell in love with it.

OKAY QUESTION.

You know the bridge? The first part... the back up singing... it sounds like a girl! But everyone keeps telling me it's Mike... :/

I know Mike can sing high, but that definitely sounds like a girl to me...

I'm glad that this song made it to song of the week! It's definitely my favorite Green Day song from my favorite album.

The lyrics

"It seems so frightening

Before you know you're struck down"

Are so incredibly powerful. Listening to this song makes me think about getting older.

One of the greatest GD songs ever :D

anyone who seriously doesn't own Kerplunk needs to get their asses off the computer and get it NOW! :cool:

Kerplunk! makes my LIFE. This is one of my favorites off the album.

(I'm posting from school! :D)

I feel bad for not having this CD (yet) :(

You're missing out, it's my favourite 'old' Green Day album.

And it seems so frightening

This is so true, I remember when the summer holidays were an age away, and now they've already passed... where has my childhood gone? :cry:

Love this song, it's definitely one of my top 5 from Kerplunk :)

I remember being more than perplexed when I read the lyrics for the first time :lol:

One of my favorite songs ever.

I don't know, I just love it. It's very easy to relate to, and I think that's why Kerplunk! is probably my favorite GD album.

The lyrics are very very interesting as well.

Oh yeah!! Android is the song of the week!!! WHOOHOOO =D

This is one of my all time favourite songs! Since the day I read the lyrics, in my Kerplunk cd :lol: I was like WOW omg.. How didn't I notice the lyrics before!!!!?? lol

Maybe I coudn't figure out what Billie was saying and didn't try to figure them out.. or I didn't even pay attention to them xD There was so many Green Day amazeness that I didn't notice from the first albuns!!

Now they are both in my top favs! hah

I loove every line form this song! It's one of those songs that I relate so much with my life, my thoughts about today and tomorow.. and things that come to my mind sometimes, That actually make me go crazy :lol:

"Hey old man in woman's shoes

I wonder if he knows I think he's crazy

When he was young did he have dreams

Of wearing woman's shoes and being crazy?"

"Or will I grow that old?

Will I still be around?

Six feet underground and waste away"

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song! :wub:

Hey old man in woman's shoes, I wonder if he knows I think he's crazy? :D

I love this song, one of my favs off of Kerplunk, great choice! :wub:

Great song. I didn't like it so much when I first heard it, but after a few listens I really liked it (and still do). :D

It seems so frightening

Before you know you're struck down.

And this line is so true.

I think a lot of people can relate to it, too.

Archived