Kerran's most inluential bands of all time

pisquano

List

According to Kerrang!, the most influential band of the last 30 years is Metallica, which comes right before Green Day.

I was expecting a high position for Green Day, they have influenced many groups after the massive success of Dookie and then contributed, in 2004, to the revival of the pop-punk genre. I don't follow Metallica very much, but have they been more influential then Green Day?

Probably Green Day deserved the top spot.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally desagree with that poll (apart from Green Day, obviously). Where is Nirvana?

Some of these bands are not influential, they're just famous, I mean, they haven't revolutionized anything.

Hm, I can't say that poll is exactly accurate. Some of those bands have barely been influential at all, they're just popular, and there are definitely some bands that stand out with their absence (if that's even an expression in English). As in, that they're not there but should definitely be.

Kind of to be expected from a poll though.

And I can't say I think Green Day is the 2nd most influential band from the last 30 years, haha. I mean, they have definitely been influential and they deserve a high place, but there are definitely other bands which have been more influential.

That was an impressive over-use of the word "influential".

I disagree with over half that list. Blink 182? Slipknot? Bullet For My Valentine? Are you kidding me? Some of those bands haven't even been around for 20 years let alone 30. To call them influential is seems absurd, popular would be a more accurate term instead.

No Nirvana? No Pearl Jam?

I call bullshit.

And I'm just kind of lol-ing at #4-7. They might be good, but yeah, no.

Kerrang always seem to make up these top 10 lists just to piss people off.

I'm surprised Paramore aren't number 1. :P

I don't listen to any of the other bands, but I would like Green Day have been in #1. Meh, is a shitty list anyway.

Haha yeah it's just popular bands, not necessarily influential ones in my opinion...

Foo fighters are on the List and Nirvana aren't -> FAIL

Love the foo fighters but come on Nirvana practically changed popular music in the early 90's

:pinch::unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: it's shit they missed a lot of better bands

I know it's a dumb thought but the way I took it was that it's just the 30 most influential, as in within themselves they're not in any particular order... because I don't think you can diferentiate(Sp?) between who has been more influential; Green Day or Maiden because they're two completely different spheres of music... hmmm. :unsure:

I totally desagree with that poll (apart from Green Day, obviously). Where is Nirvana?

Some of these bands are not influential, they're just famous, I mean, they haven't revolutionized anything.

No Nirvana? No Pearl Jam?

I call bullshit.

And I'm just kind of lol-ing at #4-7. They might be good, but yeah, no.

MCR Gotta love em.

Foo fighters are on the List and Nirvana aren't -> FAIL

Love the foo fighters but come on Nirvana practically changed popular music in the early 90's

Nirvana is number 13 in the printed version. :/

Well they were right about Green Day being very influencial, they deserve a high position and so do Metallica. Shame most of the rest of the list is a load of bollocks. Foo Fighters but not Nirvana? :lol:

Kerrang just loves green day.

Still I don't think they have been that influential.

Metallica on the other hand is another story!

I agree with alot of you guys, I would put Nirvana on there, and take off likin park and bullet for my vallentine, shure there good, but they dont have as much as a powerful influence, the same with Blink, ther great, but more young artists are infulenced by bands like GD.

Stupid list .... :dry: 'Nuff said.

And the comments on these kind of things are so annoying to read ....

I don't think Metallica has been more influential than Green Day. In fact, none of the top 10 bands has been that much influential to be included on that list (except for GD of course!).

I can't see the list (my comp won't open it!) but I guess it must be different to the printed version of the same article because, as afore mentioned, in the printed version Nirvana were number 13.

Guest FlirtyDutherMucker

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I know it's Kerrang, but still ...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

For Kerrang, it isn't their worst. I was expecting number one to be My Chemical Romance, followed by Paramore and 30 Seconds To Mars. And Metallica have been a huge influence in metal, even if I'm not crazy about them. And I think Green Day are well placed there.

Of course, that being said, in the last 30 years, there have definitely been many bands that have been more influential than those listed, so it's just a bunch of young readers voting for their favourite bands. Then again, what exactly were we to expect from Kerrang? :rolleyes:

That list is so ridiculous that I don't even want to bother ranting about it. Green Day are my favourite band, but I still don't agree with them being that high. Kerrang! are seriously saying that all those bands are more influential than Nirvana or Rage Against the Machine.

I disagree with over half that list. Blink 182? Slipknot? Bullet For My Valentine? Are you kidding me? Some of those bands haven't even been around for 20 years let alone 30. To call them influential is seems absurd, popular would be a more accurate term instead.

I agree. apart from Green Day I don't see how those band influence. also what about bands like: Queen, The Smiths, PJ harvey, Guns, N' Roses, Travis...

I think it's a little unfair to judge it by the published top ten because there is supposed to be THIRTY in that list. This list also wasn't voted for by "teenies voting for their favourite bands". Some of the bands people are mentioning are on the list just not in the ten in that link, of course G'n'R and RATM and Nirvana are on there!!! :dry:

Archived