J'net

This week’s Song of the Week is "She". Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

"She" was included on the album, Dookie, which was released in February 1994. Dookie reached number two on the charts and went platinum 10 times. Since its release, "She" has become one of Green Day’s well-loved staples.

I was beyond excited to see this song performed for the first time at the Bowery Ballroom in New York this year. I’d watched so many youtube videos of live performances, but nothing compares to actually being there and watching the sweat fly whenever Billie Joe shakes his head. This is a high energy song and a real experience to see live.

I’ve added two videos this week - one very recent and one quite a bit older. One was professionally recorded in a studio and the other was recorded at a show. Enjoy:

"She" Lyrics

She, she screams in silence

A sullen riot penetrating through her mind

Waiting for a sign to smash the silence with the brick of self control

Are you locked up in a world that's been planned out for you?

Are you feeling like a social tool without a use?

Scream at me until my ears bleed

I'm taking heed just for you

She, she's figured out all her doubts

Were someone else's point of view

Waking up this time to smash the silence with the brick of self control

Are you locked up in a world that's been planned out for you?

Are you feeling like a social tool without a use?

Scream at me until my ears bleed

I'm taking heed just for you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love She, it's a great song, the live performances you added are awesome, and i think it was a great choice for SOTW.

Definitely one of my favorite GD songs. I love hearing She live. One of the best performances for me was the one at Reading 2004. It really is an experience to see them performing this song live. So much energy!

And I really like the videos you added. I don't think I have actually seen the first one.

Definitely one of my favorite GD songs. I love hearing She live. One of the best performances for me was the one at Reading 2004. It really is an experience to see them performing this song live. So much energy!

And I really like the videos you added. I don't think I have actually seen the first one.

There's a youtube video of the Reading 2004 performance. I almost used it, and I can't remember now why I chose not to. Maybe the sound quality wasn't good or the camera was too far away or something. Anyway, it's out there, if you haven't already seen it.

first song that played on my Zune when i drove in today

It's amazing how sensitive the Zune can be to what's going on around you ;). I love mine!

Really nice song, one of my favourites. And it was one of the first Green Day songs I knew the lyrics to by heart.

I like the videos you added, haven't seen the first one since it was brought out (?) first, and I haven't seen Live Without Warning as far as I know, but I do recognize the video xD

There's a youtube video of the Reading 2004 performance. I almost used it, and I can't remember now why I chose not to. Maybe the sound quality wasn't good or the camera was too far away or something. Anyway, it's out there, if you haven't already seen it.

I have seen the Reading performance, that's why I said I love it :D

I don't think there's a video only of She cause I only can find videos of Basket Case AND She. Maybe that's why you didn't choose it. Thanks though.

I love She so much. It's definitely one of my favorite Green Day songs. The live versions are amazing. :) I really like the lines:

"Scream at me until my ears bleed

I'm taking heed just for you"

I think Waiting would be so much better for this week but She is a great pick as well :)

I don't think there's a video only of She cause I only can find videos of Basket Case AND She. Maybe that's why you didn't choose it. Thanks though.

Yes, there is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f_62HvG2_8

Though the best She performance award goes to the one in Chicago '94 :D

That word is starting to look and sound really wierd now.

But I love the song :)

I think Waiting would be so much better for this week but She is a great pick as well :)

Yes, there is!

Okay, you found it :P Maybe J'net could add it now if she feels like it should be added :)

Ania, last person from Poland I got friends with here (her name is Martika), we swore each other to sing Waiting before a show if we ever get to go to a GD show together. Now I'm gonna make YOU sing this song with me on Wednesday, okay? :bunny:

That word is starting to look and sound really wierd now.

But I love the song :)

what do you mean?

Ania, last person from Poland I got friends with here (her name is Martika), we swore each other to sing Waiting before a show if we ever get to go to a GD show together. Now I'm gonna make YOU sing this song with me on Wednesday, okay? :bunny:

You don't want to hear it. BELIEVE ME :D

I absolutely love She. Of all the songs on Dookie, I think She is the one I can most fully appreciate now that I'm older. When I was a kid I just thought it was a cool sounding song, I didn't really think too much about the lyrics. But now that I do think about the lyrics, I think it's brilliant. Easily one of my favorite Green Day songs.

Inspired by a poem written by one of Billie's ex girlfriends If I remember rightly? (or did I dream that) ? :D

He really does understand the world and life from a woman's point of view.

I love and adore this song :wub:

I resonated with it win it came out. Longview and Basket Case were nice, but on this one I felt like he was talking to me. "Are you locked up in a world that's been planned out for you? Are you feeling like a social tool without a use?" That spoke to me.

Yes, there is!

That one isn't in synch at all with the audio, or at least, in the beginning. I didn't bother to watch the rest xD

and yeah, that one is awesome :lol:

Great song. I always feel like Billie is calling out to me when I listen to the chorus :wub:

That one isn't in synch at all with the audio, or at least, in the beginning. I didn't bother to watch the rest xD

and yeah, that one is awesome :lol:

Wooops, you're right Sanne.

Now I remember why I didn't use it! The audio was SO far behind the video - it was disconcerting! :lol:

Yeah, there are a few really classic performances out there, but I tried to choose videos that put the focus on the song rather than on ... other things. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This has got to be one of my favourite songs of all time. I remember hearing it in Burger King a few months ago and being in total shock.

Archived